This exhibition brings together objects, photographs, posters, plans and other documents that testify to the industries that existed on the seafront of Badalona from the mid-nineteenth century to the last quarter of the twentieth century.
When Badalona began to be industrialized in the middle of the 19th century, the area where most factories were concentrated was the seafront, and more specifically the northern and, above all, southern ends of the coastline.
This occupation of the territory is basically explained by the proximity of the railway, which, inaugurated in 1848, facilitated the transport of raw materials and processed products. The presence of the sea, another system of communication, must also be taken into account. And, without a doubt, the availability of affordable land at a time when Barcelona was already very saturated.
The industry in this area lasted until the end of the twentieth century, when a series of changes began, gradual and profound at the same time, which ended up completely transforming its appearance and use.
The factories have now been largely replaced by flats and leisure facilities, and the development of the seafront has given the area a very playful feel. Some evidence of the former industries is preserved, but on the whole the landscape is almost unrecognizable, and the atmosphere is far removed from the fatigue of work, the smoke from the chimneys, and the sound of the sirens that had characterized it.